Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Rapper Mykki Blanco Reveals That He is Gay and HIV Positive!


Mykki Blanco


I've never heard of this guy before, but you might know him. He is rapper Mykki Blanco and he just revealed that he is gay and HIV positive. Kind of shocking, eh? I love his honesty. He reveals that he has been HIV positive since 2011 and he states, "I did it for myself". Did what?? I sure hope he is not one of those stupid guys who slept with someone who is HIV positive on purpose. Yes, folks there are guys out there who have slept with people they knew were positive just to get the HIV themselves. They usually say stuff like, "I'm gonna get it eventually anyway" and "I thought I was already positive so what does it matter!". Take this sage advice people, get tested and know your status. You can go to an HIV clinic or your doctors office or even buy one of those home testing kits. It just takes 20 mins if you go to a clinic to find out what your status is. Trust me, it is better to know for sure. Because if you are HIV positive, there are so many good drugs out there and once you get on a good "cocktail", you can live a long and full life. It's no longer an immediate death sentence. And if you are positive, tell your parents and your family. Let them give you the emotional support that you need. Mykki states that " "At a certain point, my real life has to be more important than this career. And at a certain point, my own happiness and my own loneliness, it overcame me.... Being HIV-positive doesn’t mean you don’t get to feel sexy or free or liberated. It doesn't silence you from talking about sex or having sex. Be safe. Be conscious. Be aware. But don't let society make you feel like you can’t be sexy, or ashamed for being sexual. Stay safe. Stay free."

"Everyone always knew I was gay," he said, explaining his attitude of full transparency with his fans. "My father told me he knew I was gay when I was 3 years old. How shitty and how deceived would they [the fans] feel if, 20 years from now, they found out I was HIV-positive but I was too afraid of the stigma to come out about it? What kind of fraud would I have been to all the people that supported me? All the people that are trans and positive? Who are gay and positive? Who supported me and bought my music and come to my shows? I couldn’t be honest with myself enough, to love myself enough, [so] that self-love could then be encouragement or inspiration to them? No, no, no. Honestly, truthfully, I think I have too much integrity for that."

Sharing is caring, so thanks for sharing Mykki. 

No comments:

Post a Comment